Providing signage for your business, while at the same time conserving cash flow, can be a challenge for any company on a shoestring budget. However, a small business’ sign may be one of the most important elements in a business’ effort to get people through the door. Most small businesses don’t have the budget for elaborate neon or LED signs, which can run in the thousands of dollars to create. So, it is up to you – the business owner – to come up with a more creative method of letting customers know that you are open for business. Not only that, but you don’t have to sacrifice aesthetics for the sake saving money. Here are five effective and low-cost signage tips for small businesses.
- Use reclaimed materials. There are many sources of reclaimed materials, like wood and aluminum. For instance, old barns are always collapsing and the wood is often ready for a new incarnation. When it comes down to it, reclaimed wood can be turned into an incredibly beautiful sign that can be seen from very far away. All you have to do is cut the wood and then treat it. A skilled carpenter can have the job done in a very short amount of time.
- Hand painted letters and other graphics. Having a hand painted sign for your business can be a great way to advertise your storefront. Not only that, but there aren’t a lot of hand painted signs out there, so your business will undoubtedly stand out. When it comes down to it, you can go as big or small as you want and you won’t have to worry about the cost of the signage entering an astronomical price range.
- Use existing signs. When it comes down to it, many businesses close and then leave their signs behind. This can be a great way to purchase a previously used sign for very little money and sometimes for free. When it comes down to it, it may be hard to find a sign with your exact business name, but if you want to advertise a certain product or service, there is a good chance that a specific type of sign will be easy to find.
- Instead of installing a big sign, you could use window decals. Window decals are often an affordable method of providing signage for your storefront. Usually, window decals are easy to install and they are easy to remove if you ever decide to change your signage or move your business. In fact, Kachina Sign Center makes beautiful and well made window decals that will look great on your business’ windows. All you need to do is prepare your logo files and then send them to the sign center. Your window decals should be ready in only a couple of days.
- Ask for demo discounts. If you are feeling brave, you could ask a sign maker to create your sign for free, or for a very steep discount, in exchange for total creative freedom. Many sign centers needs to provide material and case studies for their portfolios, so this can be a great way to get a professional and effective sign – for pennies on the dollar.